Albatros DIII (ÖFFAG)
Click on an image to see it in high resolution
About the model
A peanut model built by Tommy Westlin from Finland, with which he won the
2004 Inskaala competition. Weight is
10.5 grams, and the rudders are trimable.
The photographies were taken by Willy Blom at the Blå Hallen meeting in Stockholm 1998.
About the origial
Introduced early 1917, the Albatros DIII quickly became the premier German fighter aircraft. It was also used
by the Austro-Hungarian airforce, and was built under license by ÖFFAG (Österreichischen Flugzeugfabrik AG). The Austrian
built aircraft were strengthened compared to the German original, and powered by successively stronger engines. The later series sported a redesigned,
blunt nose, eliminating the typical Albatros spinner. The result of these impovements was an aircraft far superior to the original
model, and it remained in production until the end of the war.
This particular plane, painted all red, was flown by the Austrian ace Godwin Brumowski.